As the rains fall softly over the dark highland forests of southern Angola, the precious waters erode away at the landscape to form streams. Meandering down the slopes joining into powerful cascades over boulders, it finds its way down the escarpment on a journey southwards, beyond the borders of its origins.
Arriving at the vast floodplains of the Kwando River in Namibia and in the heart of KAZA, it spreads out, flowing through natural landscapes and claiming back its rightful purpose as a life-giving source. It is here where you will find the unobtrusive Nambwa Tented Lodge, nestled high amongst majestic Jackalberry, Sausage and Knobthorn trees.
On a private island in the middle of the Kwando River and adjacent to the Horseshoe Bend lies Kazile Island Lodge, a unique lodge experience only reachable by boat.
Guided Game Drive
As dawn breaks or the afternoon shadows lengthen our game drives depart to discover the unknown behind every bend within the Bwabwata National Park. Observing every branch for a rare endemic bird, to be rewarded instead by an elusive leopard. The silence broken by the deep low rumble vibrating through the bush, which could only belong to a large herd of elephants. Out of nowhere they appear with a focused determination towards the life-giving water up ahead. Knuckles white, as I grip the seat of the game viewer, relishing the moment as a highlight of my journey through this unique and largest Conservation area in the Africa.
Duration: 3 hours
The early morning suns rays reflect off the waters edge, the soothing sound of the water as it is gently broken by the bow of the boat cutting through the waters surface. Our guides steer the boats past varied landscapes of papyrus islands and reed floodplains and get within respectful distances of hippos, crocodiles, other mammals and the varied bird species this area is known for. An informative, yet soulful experience on waterways similar to that of the Okavango Delta.
Duration: 2.5-3 hours
Guided Bush Walk
Walking Safaris are an incredible way to experience the bush in a more personal and energetic way. Our local guides take great delight in sharing their ancestral repertoire of medicinal uses of the flora along the way and their tales of the wild and their upbringing in this area. It is an experience, which connects and grounds any participant to our Earth. As we are in a truly natural environment with lion, buffalo, elephants, leopard and other wildlife roaming these plains freely, we discourage guests under the age of 12.
Duration: 2-3 hours
Dining in the natural bush together with a sundowner on the cusp of the evening is a must when you visit Africa. We take you to the most romantic and memorable spots. There is nothing quite like sitting in the silence of a remote area, with the splendid array of bird song, while breathing in the earth and the sweet scents of the surrounding trees. It’ll make you fall in love with the Zambezi region all over again. You can plan around two hours, start to finish, for one of these delectable and relaxing experiences. We are happy to arrange breakfasts to suit any of your special dietary needs as well.
The Sijwa Project Tour
A Boat cruise from the Lodge to Sijwa Island, where the Sijwa host will meet our guests and guide them through the project which was established by African Monarch Lodges as part of its endeavour to be sustainable and give back to the community and conservation by protecting the natural resources and developing the local community through a biodiverse economy. It is here where guests will be entertained and be enriched with local culture as they partake in a visit to the cultural village. A walk through the permaculture plants, recycling workshops where waste such as plastic, glass and cans are turned into beautiful artefacts for sale. Guests can buy and plant trees from our indigenous tree nursery to offset their carbon emissions at the project.
Whether you are curious to explore ways to live a more mindful life, whether you would like to compliment your travels with time to rest and rejuvenate or you are a well-practiced Yogi seeking to further your own practice – take part in one of our yoga retreats in the heart of the world’s largest conservation area, exclusively hosted by Nambwa Tented Lodge. Please contact us to receive a complete itinerary of yoga retreats on offer.
Nothing tops a secluded personalised picnic under the canopy of majestic trees in the wild. A bottle of sparkling wine and a freshly prepared organic spread from our kitchen will set the scene for a truly spectacular vintage picnic safari.
Dining under the African Sky
Dining is deemed to be the highlight of a bespoke travel experience. At Nambwa we take immense pleasure turning every meal into a memorable experience. Our locally trained Chefs illustrate their artistic flair of local and traditional influences. They delicately prepare ingredients sourced from local subsistence farmers and add spice to these culinary delights to evoke a spark of the art and elegance of fine dining.
When you choose to celebrate your wedding at African Monarch Lodges in the heart of the Zambezi, you and your guests will experience the ultimate full-service retreat centered completely around your big day. The Zambezi is truly a unique backdrop for creating life’s most cherished memories. Don’t settle for a typical wedding, enjoy a Zambezi celebration.
Pack the Essentials
Proudly Partnered With
- Pompie’s Amazing Birding Safari September 17, 2018 African Monarch Lodges
- Caprivi-Streifen Namibias tropisches Paradies March 5, 2018Spiegel-online, ab 21. Februar 2018 Wildreich und wild: Wer Elefanten, Löwen und Flusspferde ganz nah erleben will, bereist Namibias nordöstlichen Zipfel. Die Region erlebt zurzeit einen Boom, immer mehr luxuriöse Zeltcamps eröffnen. Das Boot taumelt und schwankt. Riesige Wellen erfassen seinen Bug. Die Touristen auf dem Oberdeck sind jedoch wenig irritiert, sie […]African Monarch Lodges
- Spectacular nocturnal wildlife sightings June 15, 2016Spectacular nocturnal wildlife sightings Nambwa Tented Lodge has been experiencing some spectacular wildlife sightings recently. Here is one of their latest guest experiences: “The cool air washes over our faces as we sit on the back of the game viewer, following the light as it floats over the grass plains on our left, and the dense […]NamDan
- Dreaming in the treetops… May 15, 2016Dreaming in the treetops… Text and Photographs Elzanne Erasmus | Main photo ©Timo De Nijs The stately animals make their way through the marshes. Slowly but surely they navigate the wet ground underfoot. Among them, barely sticking out above the tall grasses, you can make out the backs of young calves. They weave their way […]NamDan
- Special Nambwa B’day Surprise April 15, 2016A special Nambwa Birthday surprise A couple of weeks ago, the 7th of April to be exact, it was my brother-in-law’s birthday. To celebrate, Nambwa Tented Lodge organised an island breakfast for us which was absolutely amazing. My brother- in-law is from Germany and he had never celebrated his birthday away from home before; so to get such […]NamDan